Making a shepherd costume in a record time

Yes, as you read, and do you know the funny part? That I already have 3 other shepherd costumes...

And... why am I making another one? Well those costumes are inside a moving box...

Box number 78, more specifically...

and box number 78 is located between others 150 boxes here...



The photo is not good enough to appreciate but there are around 8 rows in depth... and over them columns of 4 to 6 boxes... a complete chaos...


Well, back to what I was talking about, given the fact that the Christmas performance is tomorrow, I've had to buy half meter of sheepskin-lined cloth and make a shepherd costumme.

Here, I'm sharing with you a step by step guide to do it, I know, I know, it's late for this year, but, who knows, maybe next year some of you need to make one. ;)


How to sew shepherd costume

First, we start using a kid's coat as pattern, putting it inside out and with the sleeve inside the coat to have the shape of the vest, and we cut the outline.

shape shepherd costume

We have to place de cut piece over the rest of the cloth (letting the cloth part touching in both pieces) to cut the other face of the vest.

sew shepherd costume shape

Done this, we take one of the pieces, we fold it in the middle and cut it in two parts to make the vest front.

vest shepherd costume

Now, with the help of the same coat thatn before, we measure the distance between the shoulder and the neck.

sew shepherd costume

And we take that point as the start of the vest collar and cut it (I've cut it almost like the armhole)

sew shepherd costume vestDIY shepherd costume

and now we present it to see how it will look.

sew shepherd costume vest

we put the pieces inside out (with the sheepskin-lined inside) and sew both sides and shoulders.

sew shepherd costumeDIY shepherd costume

Well, so the main part is already finished, now, just to use all the rest of cloth pieces I've done the complements.

This piece was a bit irregular but it was great to create a little bag.

sew shepherd costume

I just had to fold it like if it was an envelope and sew both sides.


bag shepherd costume

Just add a long piece to make the strap and we have a shepherd bag.


I didn't have a long enough piece so, I used two pieces sewed between them.
Another option would be to use another kind of strap or an old belt.

DIY bag shepherd costume

sew shepherd costume

bag shepherd costume

I've done too a pair of leg-warmers.


I measured the height of my kid's leg between the knee and the ankle, and to have the wide of the piece I took measure of a tracksuit  leg, so they will fit perfectly over his clothes.

The same than before, I fold it with the shepherdskin-lined insied and sew both edges making a sort of tube.

sew shepherd costume leg-warmer

Then I took a rubber band and with the measure around the leg just under the knee I sew it in one of the sides.


Of course, the rubber band is smaller than the leg-warmer, so I sew it in zig-zag, stretching a bit the band.


shepherd costume leg-warmer

Then with the small pieces that remained I've done too an oval with the shape of a hat hole and with small pieces I've put it sides creating a shepherd hat quite fine.

Et voilà, here we have a complete shepherd costume done in record time and by just 5€.


Shepherd costume

Comments